The Craigie-Longfellow House

 

The Vassall-Craigie-Appleton-Longfellow House built in 1759 was constructed for Royalist John Vassal who later left it when the Revolutionary War threatened. George Washington then used the house as his headquarters during the war while he planned Boston's defense. Henry Wadsworth Longfellow first rented rooms in the house from Mrs. Craigie. The house passed to Nathan Appleton, who later gave the house to Longfellow as a wedding gift when Longfellow married Nathan's daughter, Frances. Longfellow lived in the house until his death in 1882. The house became a national historic landmark in 1962 and a national historic site in 1972.

 

Craigie House in Cambridge, Mass 1900

The Longfellow House in Cambridge, Massachusetts (1900)
Also known as Craigie House

 

 

Craigie House 1900's

Craigie House 1890's

Vassall-Craigie-Longfellow House
Cambridge, Massachusetts
(Early 1900's)

 

Vassall-Craigie-Longfellow House
Cambridge, Massachusetts
(1890's)

Learn more about Craigie House:
http://www.cnn.com/2000/STYLE/design/09/18/longfellow.house.ap/
http://www.nps.gov/long/

View photos of the exterior and interior of the house:
 
http://www.bc.edu/bc_org/avp/cas/fnart/fa267/18house2.html
http://santoleri.com/Limited_LH.htm
http://www.artemisia.no/arc/3/omraade/usa/cambridge/longfellow.house.html